Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Apatheia and Jane

Hi, I'm Jane.

I am also Apatheia Jane on Dreamwidth and apathyjane on ravelry (the craft site I mentioned in class). I've also got a few other profiles floating around, but that'll do for this. Oh, and the "blog this" gloves were published in Knitty Summer 2006.

I've been mostly offline for months, for various RL (real life) reasons, and haven't really been producing content for the last few years. I'm amused by the memory of an LJ icon that was in the style of the Shit Happens bumper stickers, but said RL Happens.

As such, I kinda feel like I can look back on my online personas with a bit more distance. At its most active, my blog was a mix of political filter, fandom filter, fanworks producer and RL journal. Politically, it's green, pro-queer, feminist, mostly just whatever I support or am outraged by. In fandom, it's mostly sci-fi/fantasy visual media based, and mostly slashfic. I watch the shows for the sf, I participated in fandom for the 'ships.

Obviously, there's a lot of change in what my blog has been in the 7 years I've had it. There's a definite shift away from the self-reflection of the early years towards being more of a fanwork and politics filter, then more of a fanwork producer, then less of everything over the last few years.

Part of the reason I blog less is that LJ was bought out and became really crap at customer service, and it arbitrarily deleted journals that they received complaints about, mostly for adult content and contested copyright content. Dreamwidth and OTW (organisation for transformative works) both formed to protect user-generated content, and both are very female-orientated. There's been a lot of comment on how much has been achieved with mostly volunteer coders, and the diversity of these coders. They both fit within the narrative of using the internet to promote individual voices and diversity.

DW is a LJ-style blogger platform, OTW has a much broader mandate - legal advocacy on copyright issues, preservation of fanworks, an archive for uploading and viewing fan-made content, and an academic journal on fandom. If anyone wanted to write an essay on transformative works for this unit, you could probably get it published in Transformative Works and Cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment