Monday, August 16, 2010

Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater

My name is Madeleine and I'm a spend-a-holic.

(Cue monotone group of disinterested fellow addicts) Hi Madeleine.

I find my addiction is greatly directed towards online shopping. With internet so readily available these days, it makes quitting the habit a real struggle. Fortunately my motivation to save money has come in the form of travelling. One of the perks of this unit, (and my three others) is that I have no exams this semester. HOORAY. So along with eating, coming to the uni, and going to work, my new daily routine has included trying to make my friends as jealous as possible at the prospect of me waving to the people of New York City from the top of the Empire State Building (I have this very romanticised image of it - picture Sleepless in Seattle, without Tom Hanks! not really my cup of tea) while they slave away in Perth at the library. Muahaha

So I must admit, my time on the internet is more invested in bargains than blogging, but other than the blogs I have accidently and occassionally stumbled across, here is one I deliberately ventured on to http://facehunter.blogspot.com/ I found the blog when I was given Yvan Rodic's book entitled FACEHUNTER. Here is one of his quotes from the book which I feel ties in nicely with what Alison was saying in today's lecture about the possibility of creating an idenitity through blogging.

"The people I photograph live on different continents, speak different languages and most of them have never met each other, but - thanks in large part to the internet - they all share the lust for customizing their idenities with fragments of culture from different parts of the world."

If the idea of a fashion blog seems extremely mainstream to you, and slightly childish, I encourage you to look at Rodic's visual diary. This is not so much about clothes, but simply how another person views the world. I love the power of the camera to capture magical scenes and share someone else's perspective on life.

Moving right along to tute presentations, I two, like Laura will be sharing some thoughts on Melissa Gregg's Posting with Passion: blogs and the politics of gender. But I think you should all know I am highly skilled in the art of procrastination, leaving everything to the last minute. So hopefully, if all goes to plan, I will have some notes up before the clock strikes twelve tonight. Or else I might just turn into a pumpkin.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Madeleine, my email address is laura.valerie89@gmail.com if you would like to discuss the presentation before Wednesday, to make sure that we don't overlap too much :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, will try and get more of an outline of what i will be talking about to you tomorrow :) cheers xx

    ReplyDelete