Monday, August 16, 2010

What's cookin good lookin?

My name is Brittany and I just love the internet.

I enjoy the music of Tom Waits, the writing of Irvine Welsh and the comedy of Larry David. I also enjoy food (particularly hot and spicy), fashion and interior decorating on a budget.

I read lots of blogs and one that I can recommend whole heartedly is Smitten Kitchen. It is a beautifully photographed cooking blog, and the woman who edits it, Deb, is right up my alley- she is an amateur but passionate cook with a wry sense of humour. Deb appreciates seasonal produce and creates and adapts recipes that yield great food that is easily recreated (mostly) in the home kitchen. Sorry if I sound like a crazed Masterchef wannabe, can't help it.

Smitten Kitchen also speaks volumes about the power of blogs and the internet- when it started out Deb was unknown, but now is widely read, has won blogging awards and secured a publishing deal to release her own cookbook. Here is a quote from her that pretty much sums up why I love the site:

"What you’ll see here is: A lot of comfort foods stepped up a bit, things like bread and birthday cakes made entirely from scratch and tutorials on everything from how to poach an egg to how to make tart doughs that don’t shrink up on you, but also a favorite side dish (zucchini and almonds) that takes less than five minutes to make.

What we’re wary of is: Excessively fussy foods and/or pretentious ingredients. We don’t do truffle oil, Himalayan pink salt at $10 per quarter-ounce or single-origin chocolate that can only be found through Posh Nosh-approved purveyors. We think food should be accessible, and are certain that you don’t need any of these things to cook fantastically."

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment