Monday, August 16, 2010

Look out! Technophobe on the loose!!

Hello fellow 10am-ers!

My name is Jess Taylor and I struggle with technology. A lot. Hence why I have the same phone I had when I was 14. If it ain't broke, don't upgrade it to a new-fangled gadget that has more functions and abilities than the NASA control room, that's what I say! Anyhoo.... so I am in my 3rd year of my Arts degree, majoring in Women's Studies and History. Now I'm not trying to suck up, but I love Women's Studies. It is everything I am passionate about and more. It has forced me to think about issues I never would have, and to consider controversial issues from all angles. It makes me happy, and I somewhat naively believe that if I am doing something I am passionate about, then a career will magically fall into my lap. Here's hoping!

I have a few favourite websites. One of them is Sleep Talkin' Man. Sleep Talkin' Man is basically a blog of the sleep talking adventures of a mild-mannered British man named Adam. His wife, Karen, records and transcribes his random musings on the blog so that you can both read and hear him. There is nothing quite like hearing an asleep British man mumbling about jellyfish and swearing like a trooper! I find this blog fascinating, not only because Adam's dreams are, quite frankly, astonishing, but also because it represents a commodification of private life. Because you can actually but t-shirts, aprons and other items with these sayings on them, such as, 'It's Cake O'Clock!' Adam's formerly private musings are now hilarious catchphrases, which the public can request to be put on memorabilia. I actually found out about this through another blog, The Bloggess. Her blog is the more traditional filtering blog, with links to the other blogs she contributes to. Her way of looking at the world is truly unique and hilarious. And that's all I'll say about her, I wouldn't want to influence you in any way if you planning on perusing her site.

Well, for a first post this seems to have gone ok. Let's just hope that the hyperlinks work, and that I don't have to redo this.....

See you all on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment