Thursday, August 19, 2010

As will become obvious, an Introduction

Hello. My name is Jay.

I am studying philosophy, and intend to do so until they call me 'Doctor' and give me a job. Though I don't have many firm convictions on the many questions that have been raised through the history of philosophy, I lean towards realism about morality and truth, have sympathy for virtue ethics, and have strong opinions about fiction. I enjoy thought experiments, transcendental arguments, and Aristotle.

(Here is a webcomic that isn't terrible.)

I took this unit because it seemed to deal with, inter alia, personal ontology (the question of what, metaphysically speaking, a person is) -- though we seemed to skip over that quite nicely in the first week or so. The only other feminist reading I have done, prior to this unit, is de Beauvoir. It may just be my bias towards French existentialism, but I am yet to see anything in the reader for this unit that is as well-written or interesting as The Second Sex.

(I have wasted many hours on this site. This is how all pop culture should be discussed.)

I love clarity of thought and despise such things as post-modernism and deconstruction; so if some of the assumptions I have made about this unit are correct, this semester should be frustrating, challenging, and rewarding.

(Here are some stick figures discussing Nietzsche and post-modernism.)

No comments:

Post a Comment